(title quote: Chico, The Magnificent Seven)
"If God didn't want them sheared, he would not have made them sheep." - Calvera, The Magnificent Seven
For a few years of my teaching career, I had a student who was an excellent trumpet player and a wonderful person. He was also the starting quarterback for the varsity football team. This limited his band participation to concert band and jazz ensemble. He excelled at both. He was also a morally upstanding young man who played his trumpet with a gospel group (his friend, also a student of mine, played tenor sax in the same group) that had several CD's to their credit. Because of this student, Travis, I taught that marching band to play the theme from The Magnificent Seven. You see, 7 was the number on Travis' football jersey. Whenever he made some spectacular play, threw for a touchdown pass, ran past the opposition's defensive line, whenever he accomplished something great on the field, the band would immediately begin playing this theme. He was our Magnificent Number Seven.
"What I don't understand is why a man like you took the job in the first place." - Calvera, The Magnificent Seven
The reason I mention this... the reason I write this post, is because Nick over at Anything Goes! tagged me for a meme. Once again, though I'm not a huge fan of meme's because sometimes it seems that they take space away from writing of substance, some meme's do contain substance. If anyone tags me for one that allows me to contribute something worth reading, I will do it. There are some I can't wait to get tagged for, but I'm not going to "cheat" and do them without being tagged, unless I lose my patience... So, there are some meme's I like. This is one that I feel is worth completing. Thank you Nick, for the introspection you provoked.
"It seemed to be a good idea at the time." - Vin, The Magnificent Seven
At any rate, here is my "Magnificent Seven P's" meme, which was created by WVb A blog about everything and more:
Passion: writing, music, movies, reading (I know, that's more than one, oh well)
Purpose: to become, every day, a better person than I was the day before
Pursuit: an authentic life
Position: climbing...
Pummeling: the past into submission
Progress: slow and uneven, but uniquely mine
Personality: friendly, outgoing, crazy, helpful, caring, passionate, intellectual
Now, I tag my friends again. Thanks, friends!
1. Tia Lynn of Abandon Image
2. Jamie of Everyone Thinks I Can Fix It...
3. Gypsy
4. One Grumpy Bunny
5. Loz from Midlife - A Journey
Obviously, it's a free world. You only have to participate if you feel so inclined.
"Yes. The final supreme idiocy. Coming here to hide. The deserter hiding out in the middle of a battlefield." - Lee, The Magnificent Seven
"He who fights monsters must take care lest he become a monster. When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
"But who made us the way we are?"
Posted by
Darren G. Miller
at
12:46 PM
Labels: 7 P's, meme's, The Magnificent Seven
"Where there are monsters, there are miracles." - Ogden Nash