"He who fights monsters must take care lest he become a monster. When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"And today the bad guys win, 'cause he turned his cape in..."

“This is no fantasy - no careless product of wild imagination.”
– Jor-El, Superman (first line)

Since I was in my 20's, I have become somewhat fascinated (read: obsessed) with the superman archetype. It's a bit strange, really. I'm actually not a big fan of the Superman movies or comics and I've never watched more than a few episodes of Smallville. Yet, I am a still a fan of superman. Not the character, but instead the idea and the ideal. I actually have a collection of over a hundred songs on my ipod that are related to Superman.

“It's the idea of Superman. Someone to believe in, someone to build a few hopes around.” – Lois Lane, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

Not too long ago, Seiche wrote an excellent post on the idea of "Passionate Masculinity," and I have since been thinking about how this idea integrates with the superman complex that seems to be so prevalent in our culture. The history of the superman archetype goes back more than 100 years.

"So here I am
doing everything I can
holding on to what I am
pretending I'm a superman"
- Goldfinger, Superman

The character that most of us visualize when we think of Superman was created in the 1930's by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, but the idea of the superman archetype has its origins in the 19th century. Whenever I teach a course on music history, which I have done for the past seven spring semesters, my favorite material to teach is the Romantic Period. The single figure who defined and divided the period was German composer Richard Wagner. His masterpiece was a series of four music dramas collectively known as The Ring Cycle (Der Ring des Nibelungen). In this four part epic, Wagner introduces the character Siegfried, who is the embodiment of man, free from the constraints of society and free to follow his inner will. In the end, Siegfried's undoing is a failure to renounce his will and subvert his desires in favor of the greater good of mankind.

“When I save a life, in that instant, I know two things that most people will never figure out: Why I'm here, and how I can make a difference.” – Superman, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche was fascinated by Wagner's idea of this superhuman hero, or ubermensch. Eventually, Nietzsche became disillusioned by Wagner and Siegfried and developed the concept along different lines. In Nietzsche's view, the ubermensch was a man who had gone through a process of self-discovery and found his own views of the world, his own morals, his own definitions of good and evil. Nietzsche's ubermensch is a replacement for God. He is a man-god who determines his own direction and lives by his own rules.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Nietzsche

“If anyone knows what it's like to be on the outside, I do. Sometimes I feel like I'm out there fighting all alone. Sometimes I feel like giving up. But, then I remember that what I stand for is more important than anything else.” – Superman, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

“You will be different, sometimes you'll feel like an outcast, but you'll never be alone.” – Superman, Superman Returns

George Bernard Shaw was responsible for translating Nietzsche's ubermensch into the English superman and bringing the concept into popular culture with his play Man and Superman. Shaw returns somewhat to Wagner's Siegfried for inspiration. His superman, unlike Nietzsche's, is not a ruler of men. Shaw's superman seeks to make mankind better and bring them closer to his level. This superman is here to save the human race. One thing that all three of these concepts share is that this superman is a human who transcends his racial limitations and lives outside of the law and archaic moral codes by which the rest of society must live. There is an excellent article on the topic by theater professor Larry Brown, called "Wagner, Nietzsche, Shaw: Prophets of the Superman."

"Civilization was far advanced and it brought forth a race of "supermen," whose mental and physical powers were developed to the absolute peak of human perfection.” – Narrator, Superman (1941)

“There is a fine line between brilliance and lunacy.” – Clark Kent, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

Right around the time Siegel and Shuster were developing their concept of Superman, Adolf Hitler was trying to implement his own. He took Nietzsche's idea one step further and envisioned a whole super race. Hitler borrowed and corrupted Wagner's dream of the perfect Aryan specimen, as embodied by Siegfried. He even named one of his lines of defense the Siegfried Line. In the hands of a madman, the idea of an ubermensch could indeed be a dangerous thing indeed.

“The human heart is still subject to monstrous deceits.” – Jor-El, Superman Returns

"If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?" - 3 Doors Down, Kryptonite

Siegel and Shuster, after being rejected a number of times, finally were able to bring their concept of the superman to life, with the help of D.C. Comics. They rescue the superman from the misappropriations of a madman and mold him into the likeness of a mythic hero; a tragic hero with a fatal flaw, such as Samson, Hercules, or Achilles (kryptonite being Superman's "Achilles' heel"). Their Superman becomes a champion of social causes who changes along with society to save us from whatever we most need to be saved from at that point in time (from corrupt politicians and mob bosses to nuclear warfare and eco-terrorists). Comics scholar Roger Sabin saw Superman as a champion of liberal idealism in the manner of Franklin D. Roosevelt. This Superman, like Nietzsche's, is eternally recurrent. Whenever society needs him, he will appear (much like the legend of King Arthur or Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion).

“I'm here to fight for truth, and justice, and the American way.”
– Superman, Superman (1978)

“This is a job for Superman...” – Clark Kent, Adventures of Superman

Superman's name on his home planet, Kal-El, is very similar to the Hebrew word meaning "vessel of God." He has been compared to Moses (both Siegel and Shuster were Jewish) and can definitely be seen as a Christ-like figure in his self-sacrifice to save the human race. His Kryptonian father's last words to him are an excellent example of the Christ-like origins of Superman. It is possible that Siegel and Shuster hoped to make their Superman appealing to Christians and inspiring to persecuted Jews.

“Live as one of them, Kal-El, to discover where your strength and your power are needed. Always hold in your heart the pride of your special heritage. They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son.”
– Jor-EL, Superman (last words to his son)

“There's one thing I know for sure, son. And that is, YOU ARE HERE FOR A REASON.” – Jonathan Kent, Superman

“I tell you that man is a miracle.” – Fire Chief, Superman III

Since World War II, Superman has been re-visioned numerous times. His powers have been altered. His views have been changed. He has even been killed. Yet he is still very much a part of our culture. Every Halloween, countless children dress in the familiar blue and red Superman costume with the huge "S" emblazoned on their chests. Grown men identify with this hero that they could never possibly live up to, and even try to live up to what he represents. I have personally been through my own Superman complex. The song I used in the title of this post, Resignation Superman by Big-Head Todd & the Monsters, speaks to me at this point in my life. I am faced with my inability to live up to this impossible role model as a standard for men.

"I hope you don't expect me to save you, 'cause I don't do that anymore.” – Evil Superman, Superman III

“You're like every other man in Metropolis! You've got this testosterone surplus that says, ‘I can do it myself!’” – Lois Lane, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

The conclusion that I have come to regarding Seiche's excellent "Passionate Masculinity" is that Clark Kent, Superman's timid, mild-mannered alter-ego, conforms to what Seiche calls "Sensitive Man." Superman himself, on the other hand, fits perfectly with his Rooseveltian ideal of passionate masculinity. I think this split personality, this dichotomy is what many men think they have to live up to, but we feel the impossible drive to live both sides of this split at the same time. This is a sure recipe for confusion and loss of a sure sense of self. How can man know who or what he is supposed to be if he is attempting to be two different things at once? It really is difficult to know exactly which role is called for at any point in time. We often hear how impossible it is for women to live up to the standards created by impossibly tall, thin, and well-endowed Barbie dolls and super models. What about this supposed standard of masculinity? I think society has created impossible standards for both genders.

“He has integrity and an innate goodness.” – Lois Lane, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

Like Clark Kent, men are supposed to be intelligent and sensitive, yet somewhat naive about worldly issues and incapable of truly deep, analytical thought. We are supposed to be nice and politically correct, not rocking the boat too hard or pushing to move forward too much. In reality, men want to think deeply and tackle real issues of great intellectual depth. We want to break out of our restrained, politically correct, nice shells and be authentic, real, feeling men with definite opinions and views. Much like Superman, we want a mission. We want something to be passionate about. We want a cause to champion and we want to feel needed by our fellow humans. We don't want to be perceived as fierce or violent, but we do want to be assertive and take a staunch stand on our principles and values. We also want to be able to feel and hurt and even sometimes cry.

"It may sound absurd...but don't be naive
Even heroes have the right to bleed
I may be disturbed...but wont you concede
Even heroes have the right to dream
Its not easy to be... me."
- Five For Fighting, Superman (It's Not Easy)

We don't need to be perfect, but we often get caught in this "Superman complex" that tells some part inside of us that we ALWAYS need to be at the right place at the right time with all the right answers and ALWAYS be able to save the day. Sometimes we will fail. Sometimes, even Superman doesn't win the day.

“All those things I can do. All those powers. And I couldn't even save him.” – Clark Kent, Superman (1978)

What we need to see is that in order to be "real men" we don't have to be perfect, without fault. We do need to engage in regular self-examination and be true to ourselves and what we believe in. We need to have faith in ourselves and trust the hero inside of each of us. One of my personal mantras recently has been, "To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world." We can each make our difference in our own backyard, on our own street, in our own community. We can touch the lives of other individuals and make a difference in the world, but only if we have the passion to care and to begin the task.

"At bottom every man knows well enough that he is a unique being, only once on this earth; and by no extraordinary chance will such a marvelously picturesque piece of diversity in unity as he is, ever be put together a second time." - Nietzsche

We each have a place in the world. There is nobody else in this universe exactly like me, or you. We must use our unique talents, our personal superpowers, to live fully and make a difference in the lives of others and the world around us. We need to set our own standards and stop resting on what popular culture and society say we must conform to. After all, who else is going to start this change if not us? Who is going to teach the next generation of boys what it is like to be men? Who must give us permission to "enter the fray" except ourselves? We can all be heroes.

“Emerson said, ‘Self-trust is the essence of heroism.' Inside each of you is a hero. And so, I leave knowing that a world full of heroes has nothing to fear.” – Superman, Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

"Where there are monsters, there are miracles." - Ogden Nash